Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Sailing on ISD






As busy as life can get, it sometimes is pretty easy for me to have excuses to put off some of my "fun goals." Last weekend, however, there was a "fun goal" that I've been eager to cross of my list. Not necessarily bucket list caliber, but definitely up there: My friend Randy and I---both still amateur sailors---sailed over to Catalina Island on his Cat-22 from Dana Point Harbor (some 40 miles out to sea and over 8 hours of sailing one way). We camped in what is called a primitive boat-in camping spot several miles north of Avalon. We had the entire cove to ourselves for snorkeling, hiking, fishing, etc.

The trip couldn't have been planned any better, and with the exception of our initial nervousness for dropping anchor in a deep, unknown cove, the trip turned into a very relaxing and enjoyable weekend sail.

So this is how I celebrated International Surfing Day this year. I just was enjoying the deeper blue of our oceans. Simply beautiful...









No comments: